3 months in Saigon - Phnom Penh - Koh Lanta - Bangkok
Starting the trip in Saigon gives you all the possibilities of diving into food, nightlife, shopping, and events, before traveling to Phnom Penh, an upcoming capital in South East Asia. Continue to the tropical island of Koh Lanta, near Phuket and Krabi, before ending the winter in Bangkok, the perfect hub to leave South East Asia to Europe or Bali.
🌱 Travel health insurance for Southeast Asia
- Best travel time: December to March. When you come in December, the temperature can drop to 23ºC during the night and reaches 34ºC during the day. Note that the Lunar New Year is celebrated in Vietnam, known as Tet festival. In 2023, this new year celebration takes place in late January (January, 22nd). Make sure you don't plan any travels around this week. The best advice is to enter Vietnam before or after Tet.
- Arrival: Take Uber or Grab, also available as a Grab bike for those traveling with light luggage, to reach the downtown area within 20-30 minutes.
- Neighborhoods: District 1 (D1) and District 3 (D3) if you visit Saigon for the first time as it is the walkable downtown area of Saigon. If you want to live where many expats live, take a look at Thao Dien (D2).
- Workplaces: Saigon is a fantastic city to work from coffee shops, for example from Maison Rouge (D1 & D2), Oromia Coffee Lounge, The Loft Café Bistro, and many many more.
- Departure: From Saigon, take a plane to Phnom Penh.
🇰🇭 Phnom Penh
- Best travel time: November to May. In January, the temperatures are between 23ºC during the night and 31ºC during the day.
- Arrival: From the Airpot Phnom Penh, take a tuk-tuk or taxi to your accommodation. Grab is available.
- Neighborhood: Choose the Riverfront area if you visit Phnom Penh for the first time. You have many restaurants, cafés, bars, shops, and nightlife within walking distance. If you want to live close to expats, take a look at BKK1, an area with many NGOs, embassies, and international schools.
- Workplaces: Workspace 1, a cozy coworking space located in an old factory building. If you want to work closer to the city center, check out Emerald Hub which comes with an on-site café, a terrace, and a library.
- Departure: From Phnom Penh, take the plane to Phuket.
🇹🇭 Koh Lanta
- Best travel time: January to April. In December, the temperatures are between 22ºC during the night and 32ºC during the day.
- Arrival: At Phuket Airport, take a tuk-tuk or taxi to the pier and take the ferry to Koh Lanta. The ferry takes between 1.5 and 2.5 hours. From the pier in Koh Lanta, take the tuk-tuk or taxi to KoHub.
- Coliving & coworking space: KoHub is the best coworking and coliving space in South East Asia. Many KoHub members return to Lanta every year and the community is growing steadily. James, the founder of KoHub organizes daily communal lunches, weekly social events, and weekend trips.
- Departure: From Koh Lanta, take the ferry back to Krabi Airport and take a plane to Bangkok.
- Best travel time: November to February. In February, the temperatures are between 22ºC during the night and 32ºC during the day.
- Arrival: Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok offers 109 direct flights to destinations in 48 countries. A great way to travel around Bangkok is to purchase the Rabbit card and top it up with a small amount.
- Neighborhoods: Ekkamai (800 Euro for a 1-bedroom apartment), Thong Lo (900 Euro), Sathorn (fancy), or Phra Kanong (budget-friendly).
- Coliving: LITA Bangkok for 700 Euro a month, or Hub53 Coworking and Coliving Space for 165 Euro a month.
- Workplaces: Wolf Coworking is located in the Silom / Sathorn area, Wolf Coworking space is a professional coworking with a nice nomad and expat community that mingles with local Thai entrepreneurs or freelancers. Memberships start at 96 Euro a month. Or The Work Loft, a well-designed loft-style coworking space is located in Silom and grants its members 24/7 access. A 1-month membership is 110 Euro, and you have quite some floors to choose from.
- Departure: The Airport in Saigon is fairly new and has good connections to other hubs in South East Asia, such as Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, and Bangkok.
- Read our article: Thailand for nomads