3 months in Singapore - Chiang Mai - Koh Lanta - Kuala Lumpur
The metropolis of Singapore is easily accessible from every corner of this planet. Continue to Chiang Mai, the nomad capital in South East Asia, and to the tropical island of Koh Lanta, near Phuket and Krabi in Thailand. From Phuket Airport, take a flight to Kuala Lumpur, a great hub to leave South East Asia or explore other countries, such as Vietnam or the Philippines.
🌱 Travel health insurance for Southeast Asia
- Best travel time: December to June. In December, the temperatures are between 25ºC during the night and 32ºC during the day.
- Arrival: Get a Singapore Tourist Pass (STP), a special EZ-link stored-value card that will allow you unlimited public transport for one day. The pass can be bought at the TransitLink Ticket Office at selected MRT stations.
- Neighborhoods: Marina Bay is pretty, modern, walkable, and pricey. If you are on a budget, check out Little India on the east side of the Singapore River, directly across Chinatown.
- Workplaces: The Hive Carpenter is located in the Marina Bay area with memberships from 20 Euro a day to 275 Euro a month. If that's too much commitment, visit one of these coffee shops Wakey Wakey, Old Hen Coffee Bar, SYIP, Botany, Genius Central, or The Ritual.
- Departure: Hop on a plane to Chiang Mai. Go to Chiang Mai first, to avoid the burning season which starts around January.
🇹🇭 Chiang Mai
- Best travel time: November to January. Make sure to avoid the burning season which starts around January and can last until March or April. The temperature in December can drop to 15ºC during the night and reach 30ºC during the day.
- Arrival: From Chiang Mai Airport, take an Uber, a Grab, or a Sangtaew to the city. Transport around town is easy on bicycle, scooter, or on foot.
- Neighborhoods: Nimmanhaemin, the remote worker's hub near Maia Mall, Oldtown, the charming but touristy part of Chiang Mai or Nong Hoi, a local residential area with fewer expats and tourists.
- Workplaces: Punspace coworking space has 3 locations spread over Chiang Mai. Memberships start at 70 Euro a month. Punspace is well known for its community lunches and events, they attract the serious nomad. Yellow Coworking is surrounded by lush flora and offers all office facilities plus community-focused events. The monthly rate starts from 90 Euro a month.
- Departure: From Chiang Mai, take a plane to Krabi or Phuket.
🇹🇭 Koh Lanta
- Best travel time: January to April. In January, the temperatures are between 22ºC during the night and 32ºC during the day.
- Arrival: At Phuket Airport, take a tuk-tuk or taxi to the pier and take the ferry to Koh Lanta. The ferry takes between 1.5 and 2.5 hours. From the pier in Koh Lanta, take the tuk-tuk or taxi to KoHub.
- Coliving & coworking space: KoHub is the best coworking and coliving space in South East Asia. Many KoHub members return to Lanta every year and the community is growing steadily. James, the founder of KoHub organizes daily communal lunches, weekly social events, and weekend trips.
- Departure: From Koh Lanta, take the ferry back to Phuket Airport and take a plane to Kuala Lumpur.
🇲🇾 Kuala Lumpur
- Best travel time: December and January as well as June and August. In February, the temperatures are between 23ºC during the night and 32ºC during the day.
- Arrival: The cheapest connection between the airport and the city is KLIA transit trains. The train ride takes about 35 min and costs between 8 and 13 Euro. You can take a taxi for about 25 Euro.
- Neighborhoods: The city center for 700 Euro rent a month, in Bangsar, an expat area for 900 Euro rent a month, or in Desa Sri Hartamas for 1,000 Euro rent a month.
- Workplaces: Sandbox, the workspace is in Sri Petaling, a 10 min drive away from the city center. Monthly memberships start at RM380 (83 Euro). LemonTreeHouse is an ideal coworking and is located in the Bangsar district. Dojo comes with a zen garden, free coffee and tea, phone booths, showers, lockers, and a pantry located close to the Petrona Twin Towers. Membership is 110 Euro per month. Our favorite laptop-friendly cafés are Feeka Coffee Roasters and VCR.
- Departure: The Airport in Kuala Lumpur has good connections to other hubs in South East Asia, such as Hanoi, and Bali but also to Europe and the USA.