Did you know that you can extend your life by several years by running every day for 10 minutes? And you don't need to race to live longer, a low-intensity 10-minute run is already enough to improve your health, for example by reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease [Harvard].
Running, either for pleasure or to release stress, comes with a couple of health benefits. Here are some of them.
🌱 Travel health insurance for digital nomads
🏃🏻♂️ 5 health benefits
- Stimulates bone formation and reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
- Strengthens the heart muscle which reduces the risk of cardiac strain, improves blood circulation, and lowers the risk of high blood pressure.
- Boosts your metabolism and energy level through better lung capacity, stimulating fat burning for weight loss.
- Lowers the blood sugar level and can help to prevent diabetes.
- Lowers the cholesterol level which helps to reduce the risk of heart attack, stroke, and coronary artery disease.
😌 3 mental health benefits
When running with others, running connects you socially, when running outside, running connects you with nature. Running impacts mental health, here are a few benefits.
- Reduces stress
- Increases confident
- Improves your mood
🌍 Running countries
A study from Denmark suggests that the sweet spot for maximum longevity is around 2.5 hours of running per week [Harvard].
In the USA, about 60 million people are running regularly or say they go for regular runs, jogging, or trail running. This is nearly 20% of the population [Statista]. Besides exercising for fitness benefits, Americans go running for weight loss, and to participate in a race.
In Europe, most people go for regular runs in Denmark (30%), followed by Germany (25%), and Benelux and France (18-19%) (Statista). The authors of the book Running across Europe estimate a total number of 50 million people in Europe who are running regularly.
🌱 Health insurance cover
Every travel health insurance provider covers running accidents. Also, the transport costs to the hospital or to your home country are covered.